Star & Shield Insurance Services and Provident have launched a custom product providing a comprehensive list of benefits that meet or exceed multiple requirements of SB 426 (now codified as Florida Statute 112.1816, effective July 1, 2019):
- $25,000 lump-sum cancer diagnosis benefit
- Optional recurrence/additional diagnosis benefits up to $50,000 lifetime maximum per individual
- Optional $75,000 statutory cancer death benefit
- Direct claims administration
- Simplified process for quote/purchase/enrollment
- Competitive pricing structure
- 7/1/2019 retroactive date available
- A+ rated insurance carrier
- A qualifying cancer diagnosis may be payable if the firefighter has been employed by an employer for at least 5 continuous years, has not used tobacco products for at least the preceding 5 years, and has not been employed in any other position in the preceding 5 years which is proven to create a higher risk for any cancer.
- Effective date is July 1, 2019. See SB 426 for further details.
- If a firefighter or retired firefighter is diagnosed with a qualifying cancer following the effective date of the law and meets the eligibility requirements, he or she may be eligible for the benefits as outlined above subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.